Manchester United and England defender Chris Smalling has been hospitalised by food poisoning, not a jellyfish sting..
Pictures of a man believed to be the United centre-half surfaced on social media after he was alleged to have been taken ill while learning to surf.
Manchester United chiefs told the M.E.N that they are investigating the reports after pictures of a man, who appears to be Smalling, were posted on Twitter.
The club have now confirmed that Smalling was hospitalised due to food poisoning, not a jellyfish sting.
‘Manchester United can clarify Chris Smalling has had food poisoning during his holiday which resulted in him fainting on Sunday,’ the message reads.
‘The 26-year-old defender was taken to the hospital and is now feeling fine.
‘He is currently on vacation following his time with England at Euro 2016 before reporting back for pre-season training later this month.’